About Our ResearchPhysics and Chemistry of Polymers.
Our research is focused on the design and characterization of functional polymer films. Our work can be applied to semiconductor device manufacturing, membranes, coatings, and low-cost plastic electronics. The following paragraphs introduce several core thrusts in our group.Projection Lithography.
We are studying polymer imaging materials for optical lithography, which is the patterning technique used to define microelectronics circuitry. The goals of this program are to measure the chemical reactions that generate the images, build process models that incorporate ultra-thin film properties, and develop high-throughput screening methods for new materials.Nanopatterning.
We are studying block copolymer self-assembly for applications in low-cost nanopatterning of semiconductor devices. The goal of this research effort is to control self-assembly in three-dimensions by tuning interactions at the free surface and substrate interfaces.Solar Cells.
We are studying the variables that control power-conversion efficiency in polymer-based solar cells. We build model devices for fundamental studies of photocurrent generation using top-down lithography. Ultimately, our goal is to improve the device efficiency by controlling the active layer morphology.Thin Film Physics.
We have several ongoing projects that focus on the fundamental physics of thin polymer films. These studies include directed dewetting, suppressing phase separation in blends, self-healing films, and anti-fouling coatings.
Recent NewsNovember 2015
- Gila joins the Editorial Advisory Board of ACS Macro Letters and Macromolecules.
- Nikki and Indranil publish work on defectivity in perpendicular lamellar phases.
- Andrew Ma joins the group. Welcome!
- Collaboration with Tang group is published.
- Abhijit and Indranil accept positions at Applied Materials and Intel, respectively. Congrats!
- Gila is an invited speaker at ISPAC 2015.
- Gila is an invited speaker at Telluride Polymer Physics.
- Abhijit and Indranil complete their dissertation defenses. Congrats!
- Mukund Kabra returns for summer research (REU). Welcome back!
- Clint Kirchhoff and Paul Gallego join the group as undergraduate research associates. Welcome!
- Gila is a plenary speaker at PolyChar23.
- Indranil and Nikki publish work on block copolymer self assembly.