About Our ResearchPhysics and Chemistry of Polymers.
Our research is focused on the design and characterization of functional polymer films. Our work can be applied to semiconductor device manufacturing, membranes, advanced coatings, and low-cost plastic electronics. The following paragraphs introduce several core thrusts in our group.Projection Lithography.
We are studying polymer imaging materials for optical lithography, which is a technique used for patterning microelectronics. The goals of this program are to measure the reaction kinetics of pattern formation, build process models that incorporate ultra-thin film properties, and develop high-throughput screening methods for new materials.Block Copolymer Self-Assembly.
We are studying block copolymer self-assembly for nanopatterning and water purification. The goals of this program are to understand self-assembly in solution, thick films, and thin films (confinement). We place a strong emphasis on tuning interfacial properties to control the self-assembly process.Thin Film Physics.
We have several ongoing projects that focus on the fundamental physics of polymers in thin films. These studies include directed dewetting on surfaces, suppressing phase separation in thin film blends, architectural contributions to thin film phase behavior, and functional coatings based on polymer brushes.
HighlightsRecent Publications (2016)
- Publication in Polymer reports the design of surface-active bottlebrush copolymer additives (collaboration with Rafael Verduzco, Rice University).
- Publication in JPSB describes radiation damage in thin polymer films from grazing-incidence X-ray scattering experiments.
- Publication in Macromolecules reports the synthesis and properties of poly- and oligo-pentacenes (lead by Luis Campos, Columbia University).
- Publication in JPSB measures 3D defectivity in perpendicular lamellar phases.
- Publication in EPJ examines ordering of lamellar copolymers on silanized silicon wafers.
- Congrats to Minnie on her MS defense!
- Adeline and David present at the Annual Meeting of the American Physical Society!
- Gila speaks at the Annual Meeting of the Adhesion Society.
- Adeline wins the SPE Thermoplastic Materials & Foams Division scholarship for graduate student research!
- Adeline wins an Honorable Mention at the SPE Polyolefins poster contest!