About Our ResearchPhysics and Chemistry of Polymers.
Our research is focused on the design and characterization of functional polymer films. Our work can be applied to low-cost solar cells, semiconductor device manufacturing, membranes, anti-fouling coatings, and biosensing. The following paragraphs introduce several core thrusts in our group.Projection Lithography.
We are studying polymer imaging materials for optical lithography, which is the patterning technique used to define microelectronics circuitry. The goals of this program are to measure the chemical reactions that generate the images, build process models that incorporate ultra-thin film properties, and develop high-throughput screening methods for new materials.Nanopatterning.
We are studying block copolymer self-assembly for applications in low-cost nanopatterning of semiconductor devices. The goal of this research effort is to control self-assembly in three-dimensions by tuning interactions at the free surface and substrate interfaces.Solar Cells.
We are studying the variables that control power-conversion efficiency in polymer-based solar cells. We build model devices for fundamental studies of photocurrent generation using top-down lithography. Ultimately, our goal is to improve the device efficiency by controlling the active layer morphology.Thin Film Physics.
We have several ongoing projects that focus on the fundamental physics of thin polymer films. These studies include directed dewetting, suppressing phase separation in blends, self-healing films, and anti-fouling coatings.
Recent NewsJune 2015
- Gila is an invited speaker at ISPAC 2015.
- Gila is an invited speaker at Telluride Polymer Physics.
- Abhijit and Indranil complete their dissertation defenses. Congrats!
- Mukund Kabra returns for summer research (REU). Welcome back!
- Gila is a plenary speaker at PolyChar23.
- Indranil and Nikki publish work on block copolymer self assembly.
- Minnie Lahoti joins the group as a PhD candidate. Welcome!
- Xiao Li and Kokila Jayasekera join the group as undergraduate research associates. Welcome!
- Review article on bottlebrush polymers is published with Verduzco group.
- Perspective article on block copolymer self assembly is published.
- Abhijit and Yogendra publish their work on photoresist models.
- Gila visits ExxonMobil Chemical Company.
- Gila visits the Polymer Science and Engineering department at University of Massachusetts.
- Gila speaks at the ORNL user meeting.
- Indranil and Xianyu publish their work on bottlebrush/linear polymer blends.