About Our ResearchPhysics and Chemistry of Polymers.
Our research is focused on the design and characterization of functional polymer films. Our work can be applied to low-cost solar cells, semiconductor device manufacturing, membranes, anti-fouling coatings, and biosensing. The following paragraphs introduce several core thrusts in our group.Projection Lithography.
We are studying polymer imaging materials for optical lithography, which is the patterning technique used to define microelectronics circuitry. The goals of this program are to measure the chemical reactions that generate the images, build process models that incorporate ultra-thin film properties, and develop high-throughput screening methods for new materials.Nanopatterning.
We are studying block copolymer self-assembly for applications in low-cost nanopatterning of semiconductor devices. The goal of this research effort is to control self-assembly in three-dimensions by tuning interactions at the free surface and substrate interfaces.Solar Cells.
We are studying the variables that control power-conversion efficiency in polymer-based solar cells. We build model devices for fundamental studies of photocurrent generation using top-down lithography. Ultimately, our goal is to improve the device efficiency by controlling the active layer morphology.Thin Film Physics.
We have several ongoing projects that focus on the fundamental physics of thin polymer films. These studies include directed dewetting, suppressing phase separation in blends, self-healing films, and anti-fouling coatings.
Recent NewsNovember 2014
- Abhijit and Yogendra publish their work on photoresist models.
- Gila visits the Polymer Science and Engineering department at University of Massachusetts.
- Gila speaks at the ORNL user meeting.
- Indranil and Xianyu publish their work on bottlebrush/linear polymer blends.
- Gila receives NSF CBET funding for "Predictive Semiconductor Lithography based on Theoretically-Informed Reaction-Diffusion Models."
- Gila visits University of Minnesota to speak about GISAXS at IPrime.
- Abhijit presents at EIPBN.
- Hanh is awarded a SURF fellowship for the summer!
- Gila speaks at the Faculty Senate Lecture Series on "Flexible Solar Cells."
- Saeed defends his MS thesis "Tuning the Functionality of Printed Conductive Polymers using Proximity Ion Beam Lithography." Congrats Saeed!
- Nikki defends her PhD thesis "Nanostructured Polymer Films for Electronics." Congrats Dr. Nikki!
- Gila visits the Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering department at NCSU.