About Our ResearchPhysics and Chemistry of Polymers.
Our research is focused on the design, characterization, and optimization of polymer-based electronic materials. Our work can be applied to low-cost solar cells, semiconductor device manufacturing, and biosensing.Projection Lithography.
We are studying polymer imaging materials for optical lithography, which is the patterning technique used to define microelectronics circuitry. The goals of this program are to measure the chemical reactions that generate the images, build process models that incorporate ultra-thin film properties, and develop high-throughput screening methods for new materials.Nanopatterning.
We are studying block copolymer self-assembly for applications in low-cost nanopatterning of semiconductor devices. The goal of this research effort is to control self-assembly in three-dimensions by tuning interactions at the free surface and substrate interfaces.Solar Cells.
We are studying the variables that control power-conversion efficiency in polymer-based solar cells. We build model devices for fundamental studies of photocurrent generation using top-down lithography. Ultimately, our goal is to improve the device efficiency by controlling the active layer morphology.Thin Film Physics.
We have several ongoing projects that focus on the fundamental physics of thin polymer films. These studies include directed dewetting, suppressing phase separation in blends, self-healing films, and anti-fouling coatings.
Recent NewsNovember 2013
- Gila visits the Chemical Engineering department at the University of Texas.
- Gila visits the Materials Science & Engineering department at the University of Wisconsin.
- Gila visits the Chemical Engineering department at Texas Tech University.
- Welcome Hanh and Xidong!
- Gila visits the Materials Science and Engineering department at Cornell.
- Adeline returns for a PhD in Materials Engineering!
- Pantea, Adeline, and Gila meet with high school students from GRADE camp.
- Welcome Mukund! Mukund Kabra is a participant of the Welch Summer Scholars program from Colleyville Heritage High School.
- Welcome Pantea!
- Indranil is headed to scattering camp!
- Gila visits UCSB for the Materials Department Colloquium.
- Gila receives the Award for Excellence in Research and Scholarship from the University of Houston (Assistant Professor level). Full Story.