Principal Investigator: Wei-Chuan ShihAssistant Professor
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Department of Biomedical Engineering
University of Houston
PhD student openings and postdoc positions:
Required skills:I am looking for highly motivated PhD students and Postdocs who aspire to become a professor or have a research career. I would be happy to talk to you if you worked in the specific fields and have the specific skills listed below.
Specific fields of interest are: Surface-enhanced Raman scattering, Plasmonic sensors, Plasmonic light emitters, Plasmonic waveguides, Plasmonic solar harvesting, and Plasmonic catalysis.
Specific skills I am looking for within these fields are: Innovative optical and spectroscopic instrumentation, Microfluidics, Nanofabrication, Organic or Silicon photovoltaic, FDTD, Bio-conjugation, Surface chemistry and functionalization.
BiosketchWei-Chuan Shih is an Assistant Professor of Electrical & Computer Engineering with a joint appointment from Biomedical Engineering at the University of Houston. Prior to joining UH, he was a Schlumberger postdoctoral fellow at Schlumberger-Doll Research, focusing on development of optical analysis of hydrocarbon fluids and automated remote monitoring system for offshore oil spills. He received B.S. (’97) and M.S. (’99) from National Taiwan University and National Chiao Tung University, respectively. He obtained PhD (’07) from MIT Spectroscopy Laboratory/ NIH Laser Biomedical Research Center, working on optical spectroscopy for noninvasive chemical sensing and disease diagnosis. He also worked extensively on nano/microfabrication and N/MEMS. His research interests are in biophotonics, neurophotonics, microscopy, computational imaging, N/MEMS, and environmental sensing. He is a recent NSF CAREER Award winner (2012) and inaugural NASA Early CAREER Faculty Award (2012). He received the 2013 Award for Excellence in Research and Scholarship (university level). He was a recipient of MIT Martin Fellowship.
Honors2013 Award for Excellence in Research and Scholarship (university level), University of Houston
2012 NSF CAREER Award
2012 NASA Early CAREER Faculty Award (inaugural)
2011 NIH study section panelist (2011-present)
2011 Best Poster award, ECI: Advances in Optics for Biotechnology, Medicine and Surgery
2008 Best paper award, Schlumberger NAM REMS Reservoir Symposium
2007 Schlumberger Postdoctoral Fellow (Schlumberger-Doll Research)
2005 MIT Martin Fellow
1999 Phi Tau Phi Scholastic Honor Society
TeachingBiophotonics (ECE 6339) (Initiated)
Optical Imaging and Spectroscopy (ECE 6397) (Spring '11, ’12)
Signals and Systems / Electrical Engineering Analysis (ECE 3337) (Fall '10, '11,’12)
Optical and Ultrasound Imaging (ECE 6338) (Spring '10)
Digital Signal Processing (ECE 6342) (Fall '09)
Postdocs StudentsDr. Po Sun
Dr. Jianbo Zeng
Dr. Jinwei Li
Mufaddal Gheewala (Advisor: Wolfe)
Pratik Motwani (Advisor: Wolfe)
Cesar Figueroa (Provost Undergraduate Research Scholar) (Joining U. Michigan EECS PhD program)
Emery Annis (Provost Undergraduate Research Scholar)
Shivali Narang (Biomedical Eng. UG)
Alexis Carr (Biomedical Eng. UG)
CollaboratorsJack Wolfe (UH ECE)
Craig Glennie (UH CEE)
Zhu Han (UH ECE)
Kirill Larin (UH BME)
Masaya Fujita (UH Bio/Biochem)
John Dani (BCM Neuroscience)
Steven Lin (MD Anderson Radiation Oncology)
Randall Lee (UH Chemistry)
Richard Willson (UH ChemE)
- “Introduction to Spectroscopy-Based Non-invasive Glucose Sensing,” In Vivo Glucose Sensing, Editors: D. Cunningham and J. A. Stenken (Wiley 2009).
- “Non-invasive Glucose Sensing with Raman spectroscopy,” In Vivo Glucose Sensing, Editors: D. Cunningham and J. A. Stenken (Wiley 2009).
- “Quantitative Biological Raman Spectroscopy,” in Handbook of Optical Sensing of Glucose in Biological Fluids and Tissues, Editor: Valery V. Tuchin (Taylor & Francis 2008).
- “Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy with monolithic nanoporous gold substrates,” Nanoscale, DOI: 10.1039/C2NR33242F, 2012.
- “Flexible optitrode for localized light delivery and electrical recording,” Optics Letters 37(11): 1-3, 2012.
- “Parallel Raman microspectroscopy using programmable multi-point illumination,” Optics Letters 37(8): 1289-1291, 2012.
- “Intrinsic Raman spectroscopy for quantitative biological spectroscopy Part I: Theory and simulations,” Optics Express 16(17): 12726-12736, 2008.
- “Intrinsic Raman spectroscopy for quantitative biological spectroscopy Part II: Experimental applications,” Optics Express 16(17): 12737-12745, 2008.
- “Constrained regularization: A new method for multivariate calibration,” Analytical Chemistry, 79(1): 234-239, 2007.
- “Determination of uncertainty in parameters extracted from single spectroscopic measurements,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 12(6), 064012, 2007.
- “Raman spectroscopy for non-invasive glucose measurements,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 10(3), 031114, 2005.
- “High resolution electrostatic analog tunable grating with a single-mask fabrication process,” IEEE/ASME JMEMS, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 763-769, 2006.
- “MEMS tunable gratings with analog actuation,” Information Sciences, vol. 149, pp. 31-40, 2003.
- “Infrared contrast of crude oil covered water surfaces,” Optics Letters 33(24): 3019-3021, 2008.
- “Thermal infrared contrast of native and crude oil covered water surfaces,” Optics Express 16(4): 10535-10542, 2008.
Energy and fuel
- “Molecular size determination of coal-derived asphaltene by fluorescence correlation spectroscopy”, Applied Spectroscopy 65(12):1348-1356, 2011.
- “Parallel Raman and surface-enhanced Raman microspectroscopy for biophotonics applications,” International Conference and exhibition on Biosensor and Bioelectronics, Las Vegas, NV, May 2012 (invited).
- “Flexible optitrode for localized light delivery and electrical recording,” International Conference and exhibition on Biosensor and Bioelectronics, Las Vegas, NV, May 2012 (invited).
- “Detection of organic gunshot residues by surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy,” Pittcon, Orlando FL, 2012 (invited).
- “High throughput Raman and surface-enhanced Raman microscopy,” SPIE Photonics West, San Francisco CA, Jan 2012.
- “Integrated multi-sensing optrode for neural stimulation and recording,” SPIE Photonics West, San Francisco CA, Jan 2012.
- “Integrated multi-sensing optrode for neural stimulation and recording ,” Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting, San Diego CA, Oct 2011.
- “High throughput chemical imaging of living cells,” Advances in Optics for Biotechnology, Medicine and Surgery, Engineering Conference International, Naples FL, Jun 2011.
- "Oil spill sensor using multispectral infrared imaging via l1 minimization," ICASSP, Prague, May, 2011.
- "Fabrication of 3D multisensing electrodes for in vivo neuronal unit recordings", Society fo Neuroscience Annual Meeting. 2010: San Diego CA.
- “Offshore stand-off oil spill monitoring using passive optical imaging,” Proc. SPIE 7312, 73120V, 2009.
- “Coal asphaltene molecular size by fluorescence correlation spectroscopy,” Petrophase, 2009.
- ”Oil spill detection,” Federation of Analytical Chemistry and Spectroscopy Society (FACSS), 2008.
- ”Modeling of thickness dependent thermal contrast of native and crude oil covered water surfaces,” IEEE International Geoscience & Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 2008.
- “Hydrocarbon detection using a plurality of spectral bands,” IEEE International Geoscience & Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 2008.
- “Quantitative Raman spectroscopy in turbid media: Theory and simulations,” Federation of Analytical Chemistry and Spectroscopy Society (FACSS), Memphis, TN, Oct, 2007.
- “Raman intensity correction in turbid media,”Gordon Research Conference: Laser in Medicine and Biology, 2006.
- “Intrinsic Raman spectroscopy improves analyte concentration measurements in turbid media,” Biomedical Optics Topical Meeting by Optical Society of America, Fort Lauderdale, FL, Mar, 2006.
- “Non-invasive determination of blood glucose concentration using NIR transcutaneous Raman spectroscopy,” Advances in Optics for Biotechnology, Medicine and Surgery, 2005.
- “Constrained regularization: A new strategy for accurate measurement of glucose concentrations in human volunteers using transcutaneous Raman spectroscopy,” Federation of Analytical Chemistry and Spectroscopy Society (FACSS), 2005.
- “Optical diversity by nanoscale actuation,” IEEE NANO, San Francisco CA 2003.
- “Microspectrometer without moving parts,” OSA Annual meeting, Orlando, FL, Sept, 2002 (invited).
- “Analog tunable gratings with nanometer resolution,” Solid-state Sensor and Actuator Workshop, Hilton Head SC, 2002.
- “MEMS tunable gratings with analog actuation,” Symposium on photonics, networking, and computing, Durham, NC, Mar, 2002 (invited).
- “Electrostatic and piezoelectric analog tunable diffractive gratings,” Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO), Long Beach CA 2002.
- “Analog tunable diffractive grating with milliradian resolution,” Optical Fiber Communication Conference (OFC), Anaheim CA 2002.
- Micro-actuated adaptive diffractive composites, US patent 6,975,459.
- Method and apparatus for oil spill detection, US patent 8,124,931.
- Raman spectroscopy for non-invasive glucose measurements, US patent 8,355,767.
- Intrinsic Raman spectroscopy, Pending.