Principal Investigator: Wei-Chuan ShihAssistant Professor (CV)
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Department of Biomedical Engineering
University of Houston
Eng. Bldg. 1 N308, Houston
Biosketch (CV)Wei-Chuan Shih received B.S. and M.S. from National Taiwan University and National Chiao Tung University, respectively. He obtained PhD from MIT Spectroscopy Laboratory/ NIH Laser Biomedical Research Center under Prof. Michael S. Feld, working on optical spectroscopy for noninvasive chemical sensing and disease diagnosis. He also worked extensively on nano/microfabrication and N/MEMS. Prior to joining UH, he was a Schlumberger postdoctoral fellow at Schlumberger-Doll Research, focusing on development of optical analysis of hydrocarbon fluids and automated remote monitoring system for offshore oil spills. His research interests are in biophotonics, neurophotonics, microscopy, computational imaging, N/MEMS, and environmental sensing. He is a recent NSF CAREER Award winner (2012) and inaugural NASA Early CAREER Faculty Award (2012). He received the 2013 Award for Excellence in Research and Scholarship (university level). He was a recipient of MIT Martin Fellowship. Among his 27 peer-reviewed journal papers, he is the corresponding author for 21, with 16 lead-authored by his students. His research has been supported by grants from NSF, NASA, NIH, DOI, and GoMRI, with an accumulative amount of ~$3M.
Honors2013 Award for Excellence in Research and Scholarship (university level), University of Houston
2012 NSF CAREER Award
2012 NASA Early CAREER Faculty Award (inaugural)
2011 NIH study section panelist (2011-present)
2011 Best Poster award, ECI: Advances in Optics for Biotechnology, Medicine and Surgery
2008 Best paper award, Schlumberger NAM REMS Reservoir Symposium
2007 Schlumberger Postdoctoral Fellow (Schlumberger-Doll Research)
2005 MIT Martin Fellow
1999 Phi Tau Phi Scholastic Honor Society
TeachingBiophotonics (ECE6339) (Spring ’14, Initiated)
Optical Imaging and Spectroscopy (ECE 6397) (Spring '11, ’12, ’13)
Signals and Systems / Electrical Engineering Analysis (ECE 3337) (Fall '10, '11,’12, ’13)
Optical and Ultrasound Imaging (ECE 6338) (Spring '10)
Digital Signal Processing (ECE 6342) (Fall '09)
Dr. Jianbo Zeng, Dr. Greggy Santos, Dr. Ming Li, Ji Qi, Jingting Li, Fusheng Zhao, Yulung Sung, MD Masud Arnob, Pratik Motwani (Co-Advised)
Dr. Po Sun, Dr. Jinwei Li, Mufaddal Gheewala (Co-Advised, now at Intel), Jing Lu, Szu-Te Lin, Cesar Figueroa (Provost Undergraduate Research Scholar) (U. Michigan EECS PhD program) ,Emery Annis (Provost Undergraduate Research Scholar), Shivali Narang (Biomedical Eng. UG), Gustavo Acevedo (Provost UG Fellow, now at Schlumberger)
CollaboratorsJack Wolfe (UH ECE), Craig Glennie (UH CEE), Zhu Han (UH ECE), Kirill Larin (UH BME), John Dani (UPenn Neuroscience), Steven Lin (MD Anderson Radiation Oncology), Randall Lee (UH Chemistry), Richard Willson (UH ChemE)
Book Chapters and Magazine Articles
- Wei-Chuan Shih**, “Hybrid fabrication makes better plasmonic nanostructures for SERS,” Photonics Spectra, August, 2013.
- Wei-Chuan Shih, Kate L Bechtel, Michael S Feld, Mark A Arnold and Gary W Small, “Introduction to Spectroscopy-Based Non-invasive Glucose Sensing,” In Vivo Glucose Sensing, Editors: D. Cunningham and J. A. Stenken (Wiley 2009).
- Wei-Chuan Shih, Kate L Bechtel and Michael S Feld, “Non-invasive Glucose Sensing with Raman spectroscopy,” In Vivo Glucose Sensing, Editors: D. Cunningham and J. A. Stenken (Wiley 2009).
- Wei-Chuan Shih, Kate L Bechtel, Michael S Feld, “Quantitative Biological Raman Spectroscopy,” in Handbook of Optical Sensing of Glucose in Biological Fluids and Tissues, Editor: Valery V. Tuchin (Taylor & Francis 2008).
Peer-reviewed Journal Publications
- Ji Qi, Kate L Bechtel, and Wei-Chuan Shih**, “Automated image curvature assessment and correction for high-throughput Raman spectroscopy and microscopy,” Biomedical Spectroscopy and Imaging 2014 (Accepted).
- Md Masud Parvez Arnob, Fusheng Zhao, Jianbo Zeng, and Wei-Chuan Shih**, "Laser rapid thermal annealing enables tunable plasmonics in nanoporous gold nanoparticles," Nanoscale 2014 DOI: 10.1039/C4NR03672G (First published on-line 8/25/2014).
- Jianbo Zeng, Fusheng Zhao, Chien-Hung Li, Yifei Li, Yan Yao, T. Randall Lee, and Wei-Chuan Shih**, “Internal and external morphology-dependent plasmonic properties in nanoporous gold disks,” RSC Advances 4, 36682-36688, 2014.
- Narendran Sudheendran*, Ji Qi*, Eric D. Young, Alexander J. Lazar, Dina C. Lev, Raphael E. Pollock, Kirill V. Larin, Wei-Chuan Shih**, “High throughput Raman spectral imaging complements optical coherence tomography for tumor boundary detection,” Laser Physics Letters 11:105602, 2014 (*: Equal contribution).
- Ming Li, Fusheng Zhao, Jianbo Zeng, Ji Qi, Jing Lu, and Wei-Chuan Shih**, “Microfluidic surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) sensor with monolithically integrated nanoporous gold disk (NPGD) arrays for rapid and label-free biomolecular detection,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 19(11): 111611 2014.
- Jianbo Zeng, Ji Qi, Fuquan Bai, Jorn Yu, and Wei-Chuan Shih**, “Analysis of ethyl and methyl centralite vibrational spectra for mapping organic gunshot residue,” Analyst 139, 4270-4278, 2014 (DOI: 10.1039/C4AN00657G).
- Ji Qi, Jianbo Zeng, Fusheng Zhao, Steven Hsesheng Lin, Balakrishnan Raja, Ulrich Strych, Richard C. Willson, and Wei-Chuan Shih**, “Label-free, in situ SERS monitoring of individual DNA hybridization in microfluidics,” Nanoscale 6, 8521-8526, 2014 (DOI: 10.1039/C4NR01951B).
- Jing Yang, Xuebin Tan, Wei-Chuan Shih, and Mark Cheng, “A sandwich substrate for ultrasensitive SERS spectroscopic detection of folic acid / methotrexate,” Biomedical Microdevices 2014 (DOI: 10.1007/s10544-014-9871-3).
- Fusheng Zhao, Jianbo Zeng, Md Masud Parvez Arnob, Po Sun, Ji Qi, Pratik Motwani, Mufaddal Gheewala, Chien-Hung Li, Andrew Paterson, Uli Strych, Balakrishnan Raja, Richard C. Willson, John C. Wolfe, T. Randall Lee, and Wei-Chuan Shih**, “Monolithic nanoporous gold disks with large specific surface area, tunable plasmon resonance, and high-density, internal plasmonic hot-spots,” Nanoscale 6, 8199-8207, 2014 10.1039/C4NR01645A.
- Greggy M. Santos, Fusheng Zhao, Jianbo Zeng, and Wei-Chuan Shih**, “Characterization of nanoporous gold disks for photothermal light harvesting and light-gated molecular release,” Nanoscale 6(11), 5718-5724, 2014 10.1039/C4NR01266F.
- Ji Qi and Wei-Chuan Shih**, “Performance of line-scan Raman microscopy for high-throughput chemical imaging of cell population,” Applied Optics 53(13): 2881-2885, 2014.
- Peter Liu*, Ji Qi*, Wei-Chuan Shih1**, and Kirill Larin2**, “Improvement of tissue analysis and classification using Optical Coherence Tomography combined with Raman spectroscopy,” Journal of Innovative Optical Health Sciences (*: equal contribution; 1**: corresponding author; 2**: corresponding author) (DOI: 10.1142/S1793545815500066).
- Ming Li, Jing Lu, Ji Qi, Fusheng Zhao, Jianbo Zeng, Jorn Chi-Chung Yu, and Wei-Chuan Shih**, “Stamping surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy for label-free, multiplexed, molecular sensing and imaging,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 19(5): 050501, 2014.
- Ji Qi, Pratik Motwani, Mufaddal Gheewala, Christopher Brennan, John C. Wolfe, and Wei-Chuan Shih**, “Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy using monolithic nanoporous gold disk substrates,” Nanoscale 5: 4105-4109, 2013.
- Ji Qi, Jingting Li, and Wei-Chuan Shih**, “High-speed hyperspectral Raman imaging for label-free compositional microanalysis,”Biomedical Optics Express 4(11): 2376-2383, 2013.
- Szu-Te Lin, John C. Wolfe, John Dani and Wei-Chuan Shih**, “Flexible optitrode for localized light delivery and electrical recording,” Optics Letters 37(11): 1-3, 2012.
- Ji Qi and Wei-Chuan Shih**,“Parallel Raman microspectroscopy using programmable multi-point illumination,” Optics Letters 37(8): 1289-1291, 2012.
- A Ballard Andrews, Wei-Chuan Shih, Oliver C Mullins and N. Koyo, “Molecular size determination of coal-derived asphaltene by fluorescence correlation spectroscopy”, Applied Spectroscopy 65(12):1348-1356, 2011.
- Wei-Chuan Shih** and A. Ballard Andrews, “Infrared contrast of crude oil covered water surfaces,” Optics Letters 33(24): 3019-3021, 2008.
- Wei-Chuan Shih** and A. Ballard Andrews, “Thermal infrared contrast of native and crude oil covered water surfaces,” Optics Express 16(4): 10535-10542, 2008.
- Wei-Chuan Shih, Kate L Bechtel and Michael S Feld, “Intrinsic Raman spectroscopy for quantitative biological spectroscopy Part I: Theory and simulations,” Optics Express 16(17): 12726-12736, 2008.
- Kate L Bechtel, Wei-Chuan Shih and Michael S Feld, “Intrinsic Raman spectroscopy for quantitative biological spectroscopy Part II: Experimental applications,” Optics Express 16(17): 12737-12745, 2008.
- Wei-Chuan Shih**, Kate L Bechtel and Michael S Feld, “Constrained regularization: A new method for multivariate calibration,” Analytical Chemistry, 79(1): 234-239, 2007.
- -., Wei-Chuan Shih, -, “Determination of uncertainty in parameters extracted from single spectroscopic measurements,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 12(6), 064012, 2007.
- Wei-Chuan Shih**, Sang-Gook Kim and George Barbastathis, “High resolution electrostatic analog tunable grating with a single-mask fabrication process,” IEEE/ASME JMEMS, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 763-769, 2006.
- -, Wei-Chuan Shih, -, “Raman spectroscopy for non-invasive glucose measurements,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 10(3), 031114, 2005.
- Wei-Chuan Shih**, -, George Barbastathis, “MEMS tunable gratings with analog actuation,” Information Sciences, vol. 149, pp. 31-40, 2003.
Peer-reviewed Conference Full-length Article
- “Flexible optitrode for localized light delivery and electrical recording,” SPIE Photonics West, San Francisco CA, Jan 2013.
- “Monolithic porous gold nanostructures as surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy substrates for molecular and biosensing,” SPIE Photonics West, San Francisco CA, Jan 2013.
- “Sparse-sampling parallel Raman/SERS microspectroscopy for high-throughput molecular analysis of micro and nanoparticles,” SPIE Photonics West, San Francisco CA, Jan 2013.
- “High throughput Raman and surface-enhanced Raman microscopy,” SPIE Photonics West, San Francisco CA, Jan 2012.
- “Integrated multi-sensing optrode for neural stimulation and recording,” SPIE Photonics West, San Francisco CA, Jan 2012.
- "Oil spill sensor using multispectral infrared imaging via l1 minimization," ICASSP, Prague, May, 2011.
- “Offshore stand-off oil spill monitoring using passive optical imaging,” Proc. SPIE 7312, 73120V, 2009.
- “Intrinsic Raman spectroscopy improves analyte concentration measurements in turbid media,” Biomedical Optics Topical Meeting by Optical Society of America, Fort Lauderdale, FL, Mar, 2006.
- “Optical diversity by nanoscale actuation,” IEEE NANO, San Francisco CA 2003.
- “Analog tunable gratings with nanometer resolution,” Solid-state Sensor and Actuator Workshop, Hilton Head SC, 2002.
- “Electrostatic and piezoelectric analog tunable diffractive gratings,” Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO), Long Beach CA 2002.
- “Analog tunable diffractive grating with milliradian resolution,” Optical Fiber Communication Conference (OFC), Anaheim CA 2002.
- 62031516, Fabrication of lenses by droplet formation on a pre-heated surface (Provisional application); Inventor: Wei-Chuan Shih and Yulung Sung; Asignee: U. of Houston
- 62004131, Nanoporous gold and silver nanoparticles and substrates for biomolecular sensing (Provisional application); Inventor: Wei-Chuan Shih and Richard C Willson; Assignee: U. Houston
- 61985984, Method of stamping surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy for label-free, multiplexed, molecular sensing and imaging (Provisional application); Inventor: Wei-Chuan Shih and Ming Li; Assignee: U. Houston
- 61827192, Integrated thin-film optrode (Provisional application); Inventor: John C Wolfe, Mufaddal Gheewala, Wei-Chuan Shih; Assignee: U. Houston
- 13/796,201 Nanoporous gold nanoparticles as high-payload molecular cargo for cancer treatment and ultrahigh surface-to-volume sensor applications (Patent pending); Inventor: Wei-Chuan Shih; Assignee: U. Houston
- 13/741,277 “Method and system for Raman microspectroscopy (Patent allowance obtained); Inventors: Wei-Chuan Shih; Asignee: U. Houston
- US8661663 Method for manufacturing a multimodal neural probe; Inventors: John C Wolfe and Wei-Chuan Shih; Asignee: U. Houston
- US6975459 Micro-actuated adaptive diffractive composites; Inventors: G Barbastathis, SG Kim, Wei-Chuan Shih, CW Wong, YB Jeon; Asignee: MIT
- US8124931 Method and apparatus for oil spill detection; Inventors: AB Andrews, Wei-Chuan Shih, M Clayton, OC Mullins; Asignee: Schlumberger Technology Corporation
- US8362429 Method and apparatus for oil spill detection; Inventors: AB Andrews, Wei-Chuan Shih, M Clayton, OC Mullins; Asignee: Schlumberger Technology Corporation
- US 8355767 Raman spectroscopy for non-invasive glucose measurements; Inventors: M. Hunter, A. Enejder, T. Scecina, M. Feld, Wei-Chuan Shih ; Asignee: MIT
PhD student openings and postdoc positions:
Required skills:I am looking for highly motivated PhD students and Postdocs who aspire to become a professor or have a research career. I would be happy to talk to you if you worked in the specific fields and have the specific skills listed below.
Specific fields of interest are: Surface-enhanced Raman scattering, Plasmonic sensors, Plasmonic light emitters, Plasmonic waveguides, Plasmonic solar harvesting, and Plasmonic catalysis.
Specific skills I am looking for within these fields are: Innovative optical and spectroscopic instrumentation, Microfluidics, Nanofabrication, Organic or Silicon photovoltaic, FDTD, Bio-conjugation, Surface chemistry and functionalization.